Typee to White-Jacket
A page from The Life and Works of
- Davis, Merrell R., "The Flower Symbolism in Mardi."
In Modern Language Quarterly, 2 (1941), pp. 625-38.
- Bowen, Merlin, "Redburn and the Angle of Vision." In
Modern Philology, 52 (November, 1954).
- Franklin, H. Bruce, "Redburn's Wicked End." In Nineteenth
Century Fiction, 20 (September, 1965), pp. 190-194.
- Kosok, Heinz, "'A Sadder and a Wiser Boy': Herman Melville's
Redburn as Novel of Initiation." In Jahrbuch fur
Amerikastudien, 10 (1965), pp. 126-152.
- Miller, James E., "Redburn and
White-Jacket: Initiation and Baptism." In Nineteenth
Century Fiction, 13 (March, 1959), pp. 273-293.
- Schroeder, James, "Redburn and the Failure of Mythic
Criticism." In On Melville: The Best From American
Literature, Louis J. Budd and Edwin Cady, eds.. Durham, NC:
Duke University Press, 1988, pp. 97-115.
- Kennedy, Frederick J. and Kennedy, Joyce Deveau, "Some Naval
Officers React to White-Jacket: An Untold Story." In
Melville Society Extracts, no. 41 (February 1980), pp.
- Nichol, John W., "Melville's 'Soiled Fish of the Sea'." In
On Melville: The Best From American Literature, Louis J.
Budd and Edwin Cady, eds.. Durham, NC: Duke University Press,
1988, pp. 50-51.
Return to Bibliography of Melville Criticism
Return to Melville Home
Please address all correspondence on
this Site to
The Life and Works of Herman Melville is brought
to you by Multiverse.